We machine sew a range of buttonhole styles including:
- keyhole fishtail
- keyhole bartack
All our button holes can be sewn cut (working/open) or uncut (sham/closed).
HIGH-RISK GARMENTS – we do not buttonhole leather, pleather, piped lace, wadded, brocade, netting and sheer, knit, pleather nor PVC/plastic finishes. We may not buttonhole lightweight, unstabilised jersey or other stretch fabrics.
Bring your garments and/or fabric marked correctly along with the button and if you need a specific colour, the thread.
- straight buttonholes = mark on the FACE SIDE (outside) with chalk or light pencil in a line or dots
- keyhole and lapel hole = mark on the WRONG SIDE (inside) with chalk or light pencil in a crucifix to show the direction and where the eye will sit.
“Thread tacks can be used although best in a tonal colour as they may need to be picked out after”
Bring your own thread for a better colour match.
- straight buttonholes = 1 spool of 120 weight, ideally Gutermann 120
- keyhole and lapel hole = 2 spools of 70 weight, ideally 2x Coats Tre Cherchi 40 or 2x Gutermann Mara70
“Buy the correct spool of threads”
The above two images show the spools to use, not an indicator for the thread weight
“We make the button hole to fit the button”
Our machines do not work in metric units, we will need to see the button to get the correct size. The charts below show the available sizes and the approximate millimetre equivalent.
Buttonholes are priced per garment/ panel / pattern piece minimum charge, up to the quantity of 10 buttonholes. More than 10 buttonholes on the garment/ panel / pattern piece will be charged at a unit price per buttonhole.
- straight buttonholes – minimum charge per unit = £4.00 / 10+ holes per unit = £0.40 per hole
- keyhole fishtail – minimum charge per unit = £4.50 / 10+ holes per unit = £0.45 per hole
- keyhole bartack – minimum charge per unit = £5.00 / 10+ holes per unit = £0.50 per hole
- lapel hole – minimum charge per unit = £5.00 / 10+ holes per unit = £0.50 per hole
Tailored gents suit jackets are charged at the keyhole rates, this will include a lapel hole.
HIGH-RISK GARMENTS – we do not buttonhole leather, knit, pleather nor PVC/plastic finishes. We may not buttonhole unstabilised jersey or stretch.
No pins in the garments – we are not liable for blood stains. Damaged machine parts due to pin negligence can incur a £250 charge.
We may not cut your buttonholes if the fabric is unpredictable, you don’t have a button or if the marking is not accurate.
If your garments are not marked correctly we may send you away to remark
We reserve the right to refuse clients who have not followed the preparation instructions